- Date hiked: 09/20/2020
- Hiked from: Wild Basin Trailhead
- Distance hiked: 7.7 miles – 1 way
- Total elevation gain: 2,320 ft
- Maintained trail: No
- Overall Difficulty: 8/10 – Route finding and possible bushwhacking after leaving Thunder Lake
- Overall Views: 8/10 – Amazing views of Eagles Beak and the continental divide
Video of our hike to and past Eagle Lake
We arrive at Eagle Lake at the 04:43 mark.
Eagle Lake is in the Wild Basin of Rocky Mountain National Park. It sits at the base of Mahana and Tanima Peaks, slightly above Box Lake. The nearest maintained trail is the Thunder Lake trail.
From Box Lake, hike southwest for about .1 miles and 75 ft of elevation gain. Depending on which bushwhack you choose you will come to an overlook of a beautiful unnamed pond. There may be some cairns that will help you located Eagle Lake, but just keep heading in the general direction and you can’t miss it. The lake is huge.