- Date hiked: 08/07/2022
- Hiked from: Wild Basin Trailhead/Thunder Lake Campsite
- Distance hiked: 7.2 miles – 1 way
- elevation gain: 2,560 ft
- Maintained trail: Yes up to Thunder Lake, more of a social trail and then a bushwhack after that.
- Overall Difficulty: 8/10 – Long hike. Moderate route finding needed.
- Overall Views: 7/10 – Great views
Getting there – Hike the maintained trail up to Thunder Lake. From the ranger take the worn footpath around the north side of Thunder Lake. Stay on the Boulder-Grand Pass trail until around 10,800 feet. Bushwhack through trees, meadows and hike up boulders. We tried to get out of the trees and hike up the boulders onto the shelf that holds Falcon Lake. Recommend offline map to track location in this area, as well as map and compass. It’s basically a moderate .7 mile bushwhack from the trail with around 250 feet of elevation gain. Great lake to visit for peace and serenity.