Loomis Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park
- Date hiked: 07/05/2020
- Hiked from: Fern Lake Trailhead
- Distance hiked: 10 Miles RT
- Total elevation gain: 2,500 ft
- Maintained trail: No – Trail is maintained and marked until Spruce Lake. Hike along the right bank of Spruce and follow the lightly trafficked trail to the unnamed pond. Cross to the opposite bank at the mouth of the pond and follow the creek to Loomis Lake. Bushwhacking required.
- Overall Difficulty: 6 – Route finding and bushwhacking skills are needed. Moderate elevation gain
- Overall Views: 7 – There are several scenic stops en route to Loomis Lake, including The Pool, Fern Falls, Fern Lake and Spruce Lake. Loomis Lake gives excellent views of Gabletop Mountain. Spruce Lake and Loomis Lake are choice fishing destinations.
Route Info to Loomis Lake
Trail is pretty easy to navigate until you get to the unnamed pond that sits between Loomis Lake and Spruce Lake. Recommend crossing to the south side of the creek right before reaching the unnamed pond. Follow the creek up a little bit, with a brief crossing. This is the most direct route to Loomis Lake we’ve found.
If you stay north of the creek you will follow several cairns, boulder hopping, and lots of bushwhacking. After doing both ways I recommend staying south of the creek after the unnamed pond.
4K Cinematic Video – Arriving at Loomis Lake
Fishing at Loomis Lake
Saw several fish at Loomis Lake. Huge fish. Not sure what kind they were but there was a fisherman that arrived when we were leaving. He was very excited and said that he had been there before because the fishing is some of the best in Rocky Mountain National Park.