- Date hiked: 10/12/2020
- Hiked from: Timber Lake Trailhead
- Distance hiked: 10.8 Miles – Round Trip
- Total elevation gain: 2,200 ft
- Maintained trail: Yes
- Overall Difficulty: 6/10 – Moderate hike on a well maintained trail. The landslide area adds a degree of difficulty though
- Overall Views: 6/10 – Pretty alpine views with surrounding forest
Video of our hike to Timber Lake
Timber Lake is a great destination for those that want a challenging day hike. A moderately trafficked out and back trail on the West side of Rocky Mountain National Park. The trailhead lies about 5 miles west of the Alpine Visitor Center.
The lake lies in a basin framed by the west ridge of Mt Ida. There are two unnamed ponds that lay above Timber Lake. However, when we visited, we weren’t dressed for winter conditions and had to turn around upon arrival at Timber Lake.