The Loch Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park
- Date 1st hiked: 07/09/2020
- Hiked from: Bear Lake Trailhead
- Distance hiked: 4-6 Miles RT
- Total elevation gain: 1,012 ft
- Maintained trail: Yes
- Overall Difficulty: 4/10 – Little bit of elevation gain. The Loch is slightly more difficult than Mills Lake.
- Overall Views: 6/10 – Views are better in winter
The Loch is my Favorite Winter Alpine Lake to Photograph
Photography at The Loch during the winter, or whenever the lake is frozen over, is amazing. There are so many compositions that you can use. Mainly because there are several rocks of all shapes and sizes all over the lake.
Winds at the Loch Lake can be brutal. This is bad when your freezing on the lake but good because it keeps the lake clear of snow. Deep cracks get filled with snow and makes for amazing foregrounds. I’ve built my photography portfolio around this lake in the winter, and can’t wait to return several times next winter.
This is no winter secret for photographers though. I’ve made 3 sunrise trips to the Loch during the winter and there’s been another photographer there every time. Don’t let this sway you from going though, there’s plenty of room on this giant alpine lake to capture pure magic.